From:
Walter W Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter W Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 16:49:48 -0500
Jerry and Pam have both raised an interesting question that has been
answered differently here:

Apparently, by the NCAA rules now in place (some one will have to
confirm this!) the MSU/MTU game will count as a tie since the game
went 10 minutes into OT.  Scores of record are now determined at the
five minute mark of OT. So speaketh the local press in the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan.

I don't know how much of a difference it will really be in the RPICH.

>Jerry Williams wrote:
>>> In the GLI semi between MSU and Michigan Tech, the game went into overtime,
>>> beyond the standard five minute mark, does the RPICH treat this game as
>>>a tie
>>> between the two teams, or does MSU receive the Win for eventually winnig in
>>> OT?
>{snip}
>And Charlie Shub replied:
>>That depends.  Several people have written software to calculate the Ratings
>>Percentage index.  The version I wrote uses the scorefile from maine
>>directly.
>
>I'll presume to answer this one based on what I know of Erik Biever's
>version of RPICH. If I get it wrong, I'm sure he'll straighten things out!
>
>Keep in mind that the purpose of doing the RPICH is to duplicate the numbers
>used in the NC$$ seeding process (which, for some unfathomable reason, the
>committee seems hesitant to release), so what we really want to know is how
>the NC$$ treats these games for seeding purposes.  Two years ago two teams
>destined for Phinal Phour appearances were involved in a similar situation
>when Lake Superior State defeated Minnesota in two overtimes to win the
>Mariucci Classic.  There was conflicting info about how this would be
>handled in the NC$$ seeding process, but I'm quite sure that it was
>eventually determined that the game was counted as a victory for LSSU, and,
>thus, this is how those games are treated in Erik's RPICH numbers.
>
>>From what I recall of the discussion at the time, NC$$ rules allow for
>long/multiple OTs in tournament games, so a win after more than 5 min of OT
>is indeed a win in the eyes of the NC$$.  Also, there's the practical matter
>of having to find record of the
>length of every OT game if you were to declare all games ties after 5 min
>of OT.
>
>DISCLAIMER:  all of this is from memory, but I *think* it's right.
>-Pam Sweeney
>Go Gophers!!!
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Walt Olson
MTU

(Usual Disclaimer: I am not nor wish to be the official voice of MTU.
 The comments made are my own but may be shared by others.)