From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 15:28:08 -0600
Jerry Williams writes:

>In the GLI semi between MSU and Michigan Tech, the game went into overtime,
>beyond the standard five minute mark, does the RPICH treat this game as a tie
>between the two teams, or does MSU receive the Win for eventually winnig in
>OT?

This question comes up every year.  In the eyes of the Ice Hockey Committee,
so far as I have been able to determine, wins are wins and ties are ties
(except for "shootout wins", which are ties).  It's as simple as that.  So,
when the Rating Percentage Index (RPI) is officially calculated at playoff
seeding time, ovetime length is *not* taken into consideration.  I generate
and publish RPICH, my implementation of the Rating Percentage Index method,
using the same procedures as the Committee, so RPICH handles this game as a
win for MSU.

-- Erik