From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 16:08:08 -0500
Jerry Williams wrote:
>> In the GLI semi between MSU and Michigan Tech, the game went into overtime,
>> beyond the standard five minute mark, does the RPICH treat this game as a tie
>> between the two teams, or does MSU receive the Win for eventually winnig in
>> OT?
{snip}
And Charlie Shub replied:
>That depends.  Several people have written software to calculate the Ratings
>Percentage index.  The version I wrote uses the scorefile from maine
>directly.

I'll presume to answer this one based on what I know of Erik Biever's
version of RPICH. If I get it wrong, I'm sure he'll straighten things out!

Keep in mind that the purpose of doing the RPICH is to duplicate the numbers
used in the NC$$ seeding process (which, for some unfathomable reason, the
committee seems hesitant to release), so what we really want to know is how
the NC$$ treats these games for seeding purposes.  Two years ago two teams
destined for Phinal Phour appearances were involved in a similar situation
when Lake Superior State defeated Minnesota in two overtimes to win the
Mariucci Classic.  There was conflicting info about how this would be
handled in the NC$$ seeding process, but I'm quite sure that it was
eventually determined that the game was counted as a victory for LSSU, and,
thus, this is how those games are treated in Erik's RPICH numbers.

From what I recall of the discussion at the time, NC$$ rules allow for
long/multiple OTs in tournament games, so a win after more than 5 min of OT
is indeed a win in the eyes of the NC$$.  Also, there's the practical matter
of having to find record of the
length of every OT game if you were to declare all games ties after 5 min of OT.

DISCLAIMER:  all of this is from memory, but I *think* it's right.
-Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!