From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 12:21:43 -0700
> From: "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: What CAN you do?
>
> >         ...With the Maine situation being just the latest of many
> >         "violations" to NCAA rules, I was wondering if anyone had
> >         compiled a list of things that were acceptable to do for a
> >         student-athelete.  There are plenty of people out there
> >         that just want to give these kids a hand, and like me, I'm
> >         sure a lot of them just want to know what is ok to do for
> >         them.
>
> The short answer is NOTHING.  The best thing you can "do for a student
> athlete", is cheer for them when they compete.  You can give money to
> your school.  Almost anything you'd "do" directly for a student
> athlete is against NCAA rules.

you can't even do that much!!!!!!!   (NO SMILEY)

I've had a student want to use my office phone to call her husband at
work to get something on the way home.  If she had been an athlete,
I couldn't have let her have free use of University resources.  Our
coaches' office (yes, the apostrophe is correct, one office for all
coaches) has a sign reminding student athletes that they can not use the
phones in there.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369