From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 20:55:40 -0500
Dick Tuthill wrote:
>     Was Dunham the only college player to accept spending money from USA
>Hockey?   If not,  then every school that had a player on that Olympic team
>is at risk for ALL the games subsequently played by that player.   There
>could be a MASSIVE number of forfeitures coming up,  folks.   Maybe even
>multiple games where both teams used ineligible players and the games in
>question have to be completely nullified!

I severely doubt this.  There are usually very few players who return to
school after playing with the Olympic team.  And now that pro players are
not prohibited and many minor leaguers are on the team, there are generally
only a few Olympians with any college eligibility left, anyway.  I think if
you checked past Olympic rosters, you'd probably find that on the average,
only one or two players per team returned to college hockey.

Gopher examples I can think of:  Neal Broten after 1980 (when I know he was
the only one to return to college hockey), Corey Millen after 1984;
1994 Olympians Craig Johnson and Darby Hendrickson both had eligibility
remaining but turned pro instead.
-Pam
Go Gophers!!!
Beat the Swiss Cheeseheads! :-)