From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:10:38 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

>      If Ingraham was ineligible in any way in 92/93,  why
> didn't the NCAA step in and forfeit all of Maine's
> victories in that year (including the championship) when
> it was discovered in the fall of 93 that he had had a
> problem in 91/92 (and they forfeited 14 games for THAT
> year).

Because he wasn't ineligible in any way in 92-93.

>   Why is the Ingraham discussion even part of this, except > to
perhaps show a pattern?

That's why.

>      What do people close to the situation think of the
> $1200 that Shawn received,  supposedly for prior services
> rendered,  during his period of suspension?   Is that
> explanation valid?   If there is adequate back-up
> documentation for that explanation,  then I don't see a
> problem.

    More denial. His explanation suddenly was appeared 6 months after
he was originally asked.

>      How many of us feel that if you took a microscope to
> any D-1 hockey program in the country that you could
> probably find as many violations as they found at Maine?
> (I can almost hear the self-righteous harrumphing from
> here:-)

It may sound like self-rightous harrumphing, but what you say sounds
like sour grapes. The notion you could find any violations at most
schools is, to me, unlikely, and as many as at Maine?  My god, I
shudder to think if that were true. Can't you not admit that Maine had
A LOT of violations, and repeatedly?  You know, just like they always
tell Pete Rose or Richard Nixon, just admit it, and get on with it.

> No system is perfect,  and I'm curious about what a
> "normal" number of infractions would be.   Wouldn't
> picking a couple of schools at random for a complete and
> thorough audit be a good thing for the NCAA to do on an
> annual basis?   (Please no shudders,  it would really
> help:-)

They just passed a law saying the IRS couldn't do this anymore. Why
would I want the NCAA to do this gestapo-like action?

>      I wonder how much schools like UNC,  Duke,  Michigan,
> and Penn State spend on compliance efforts compared to
> Maine?   This speaks to my contention that Maine was
> trying to manage a big-time program with a Yankee
> Conference mentality.   (I grew up in the Yankee
> Conference.   It is truly small-time:-)

How is that a good excuse?  If you can't play with the big boys, fairly,
get out.

It gets harder and harder to empathize with Maine or its players when I
read similar comments.

AW