From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 15:33:05 EST
Since a number of posters have been travelling down college hockey's memory
lane, I thought I'd contribute a story, and a request for information.

Last night at an office Xmas party I got into a discussion about some of the old
RPI Xmas Tournaments.  My friend, who watched RPI hockey from the time he was
six, living just three houses from the Fieldhouse, commenting about a rather
nasty Xmas Tournament dating back to around 1963 or thereabouts.  The tourney
included NOrth Dakota and Red Berenson-led Michigan.  According to my friend,
the game between RPI and North Dakota was filled with fisticuffs.  In fact at
the end of the game, a real donnybrook broke out between the Engineers and ND.
The officials directed that the announcer play the Star Spangled Banner to get
the players to stop fighting.  I had to smile at the thought of all those hockey
players standing at attention at the end of the game as the sounds of the Star
Spangled Banner filled the Fieldhouse.

Anyone out there (Tony?) who can fill in the details?  I'd also love to hear any
accounts of Red Berenson's play in the tournament.
Brian Morris                              RPI Engineers--1995 ECAC Champions