From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 07:47:02 -0500
The discussion about Title IX preventing many schools from elevating
hockey from club to varsity status or starting a varsity team, led me
to ponder what new men's hockey programs have been added to the NC$$
in recent years.  These are the only ones I can come up with:

UMass-Amherst (DivI)
Sacred Heart (DivII)
Buffalo State (DivIII)

Many more schools have dropped hockey than added it.

Can anyone (maybe Leigh Torbin at UMass?) explain how any of these
schools were able to add hockey in the face of Title IX?  It does seem
unusual and certainly counters the trend.  But if we investigate these
situations and find out how it was done, it may give an insight into
how other schools could find a way to start programs too.