From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 13:28:44 -0400
First, a lighter note - 2 days till some form of intercollegiate
hockey.  I meant to toss in a note about those BC and Lowell EX's -
check first to see if there will be any admission.  I only know for
certain that the BU and Merrimack games have no admission.

On to the big topic.  BTW, amazing reporting by Larry Mahoney of the
Bangor Daily News.  He suggested in The Hockey News last week that
this might happen.

IMO, the loss of Latendresse this season for Maine is huge, much more
devastating than when they lost Ingraham for the first semester last
year.  There are now no returning players who have scored more than 10
goals.  If the rookies are not able to immediately contribute and
contribute big, it will be up to Allison and Imes to keep the
opponents off the board.

I think John Forsyth raises a good question about how Shawn Walsh
could have assumed that Latendresse had served both seasons of
ineligibility concurrently...I was wondering the same thing and would
be interested to hear more.  I haven't looked into this in detail in
the NC$$ Manual, but I am not aware of any section which enables this
to happen or appears to enable this.

I had been under the impression all along that Latendresse had entered
as a sophomore because of his playing junior.  This was the first I
had heard anything about him also being a Prop 48 student.

Finally, this grim thought.  From the Globe article posted by Sid:

>Latendresse, of Montreal, knew he would have to sit out one year because
>he entered the school as a partial academic qualifier and because he
>had played Canadian junior hockey. But Tammy Light, the school's NCAA
>compliance officer, determined that NCAA rules required Latendresse to
>sit out two years.

According to my understanding of what was announced, i.e. what should
have happened and what didn't, the second season Latendresse should
have sat out was...

1992-93.

At this moment, I am unable to see what would prevent the NC$$ from
forcing Maine to forfeit its national championship.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>