From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 09:15:00 PDT
Carl Isaacson Award [Academic Athlete]:
  Alan Sinclair, Jr D
  Pol Sci major/3.5

Howard Colby Award [Sportsmanship]:
  Mike Stone, Sr F
  And, as was mentioned at the banquet, it can not be said
  that the sportsmanship award is given to someone who
  doesn't check. :-)

Dekers Club Award [Most Colorful Rookie]:
  Jason Botterill, Fr LW
  I was somewhat expecting Brendan Morrison [the CCHA
  Rookie of the Year] to get this, but I was pleased that
  another one of the outstanding frosh was able to garner
  some hardware as well.

Alton D Simms Award [Most Improved Player]:
  Rick Willis, Jr LW
  Maybe the best thing about Willis is that I believe he has the
  potential to win this award next year as well!  He's absolutely
  vital to this team, and he's getting better.

Vic Heyliger Award [Outstanding Defenseman]:
  Steven Halko, So D
  There's not much to say...I love Halko.  He's in position to
  become a three-time winner.

Hazel M "Doc" Losh Award [Scoring Leader]:
  Brian Wiseman, Sr C
  Wiseman said that a puck must have bounced off of his knee
  and in for him to beat Oliver by a point. :-)

Hal Downes Award [Most Valuable Player]:
  Mike Stone, Sr F and Brian Wiseman, Sr C
  The room seemed to be buzzing all evening with the hopes
  of Stone being named MVP.  He may be the hardest senior
  to replace...even more so than the three All-Americans.
  The room was also semi-stunned when, after notification that
  there would be co-MVPs, David Oliver's name was not
  announced.  Take nothing away from Wiseman...I would
  argue that he is the second best center in Michigan history
  behind only Red Berenson.  I'm going to truly miss Brian
  and everything he has done for UM, on and off the ice.  It
  just felt, for lack of a better word, funny [or maybe ironic, or
  unsettling] that Oliver didn't receive an individual award.
  [Of course...CCHA PotY and first team All-America are
  nothing to scoff at. :-]

  I think the real issue is this.  I would like to have seen Stone
  be the sole winner.  Oliver, Shields and Wiseman have
  awards up the wazoo, and Mike Stone was the heart and
  soul of this team.  With Stone not getting it by himself, the
  next best thing would have been to split it three ways between
  Stone, Oliver and Wiseman.  Ollie and Wiseman are almost
  joined at the hip when it comes to their career achievements,
  and having them share one more would have been fitting.

  [BTW, Shields was the 1992-93 MVP.]

1994-95 Captains [with '94-95 academic class]:
  Captain: Rick Willis, Sr LW
  Alternate: Mike Knuble, Sr RW
  Alternate: Steven Halko, Jr D

  Senior center Ron Sacka should be among this group, but
  it's hard to wear a letter when your sitting in the stands. :-(
  When Sacka does dress, I expect him to be an on-ice
  leader.

1994-95 Schedule Surprise:
  Coach Berenson announced that Michigan will open the
  1994-95 season in.........Fairbanks, Alaska!

  Deja vu, baby!  To Scott Roselius...if I get there, a big, tall,
  cold one at The Dog Sled Saloon is on me. :-)

  John H
  U Mich
  GO BLUE!  Is it October yet?