MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2020 13:04:13 +0000
Libraries - Addressing Coronavirus

Although Maine has yet to have a confirmed case of coronavirus, I think we all realize that we will in the upcoming days.
I am sharing information and ask you to invest time in planning this week.

ALA has recently posted information at:
Pandemic Preparedness: http://www.ala.org/tools/atoz/pandemic-preparedness

Libraries should discuss with staff, boards and town about having a plan in place to address the impact on services and library staffing.
The section at the ALA page on "Topics to include in an individual library policy" will help you through your planning process in developing your library's plan:
Topics to include in an individual library policy on illness and/or pandemic prevention and preparedness - after ensuring (if necessary) that they are consistent with the policies of the library's governing body:

  *   Criteria for closing the library
  *   Employee policies for sick leave, payroll and banking/financial issues, working from home
  *   Mandated documentation of procedures or cross training so others can take over for sick employees.
  *   Policies for social distancing -- that is, removing a number of chairs so people aren't sitting close to each other, or limiting the number of people who can come in at any one time, or taking out coat racks, and similar things that keep people and their belongings separate from each other.
  *   Criteria for suspending story times and other library programs.
  *   Provision of masks and gloves along with the training of staff iin their removal and disposal.
  *   Standards for the cleaning of bathrooms, railings and door knobs, telephones, keyboards, counters, and cleaning of workstations/offices of employees who go home sick, emptying of wastebaskets, etc. etc. etc.
  *   Setting a schedule for seeing to the critical needs of the facility if the library is closed for an extended time (boiler and building checks by custodians, book drop, payroll and banking considerations).
  *   Communications plan for reaching staff and for communicating with the public
  *   Means for continuing to provide information services for the public, such as online ordering of materials and pick up from a table in the lobby at certain times, or expansion of online services
  *   Accommodation of the needs of poor people in the community who may not have a home subscription to the local newspaper or a working home computer
  *   Education of the public in advance of an epidemic
  *   Key to our role in Maine communities is to:
  *   Provide accurate information from reliable sources

There is a short article In American Libraries as well:
https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/covid-19-libraries-pandemic-preparedness/

Short list of links to reliable resources:
Maine CDC - https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/airborne/coronavirus.shtml
You can sign up for updates on public health from the Maine CDC at:
https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/

Federal CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html
John Hopkins University - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
Maine DOE: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Schools - https://www.maine.gov/doe/covid-19

Washing hands often is one of the best lines of defense.  If Happy birthday gets old here are some other song suggestions.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/us/hand-washing-songs-decades-trnd/index.html

The national ALA Physical delivery group is also sharing concerns and ideas regarding Interlibrary Loan and Van services.
I am watching that discussion as well as keeping in touch with other state libraries.
MSL is working on our own plans and will share with everyone regarding our services, meetings, etc.
Please fee free to contact me with any questions and suggestions.
I will update with new information as we go forward.

Stay well and safe!
Janet

Janet McKenney
Director, Library Development