MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jenny Melvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenny Melvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:21:27 -0500
Dear Public Librarians,

It is once again time for the 2012 Annual Report for all Maine public
libraries. The Public Library Annual Report officially opens today
Wednesday, January 2, 2013 and must be submitted on or before Monday,
April 1, 2013.  A direct link to the website for completing the Annual
Report using Bibliostat Collect is http://collect.btol.com/

Please be sure to login using your username and password and print off
the data definitions and a working copy of your report under the
instructions tab. If you have forgotten your login information please
contact me  or your District Consultant. Reading and understanding the
definitions ensures comparability of data from different libraries and
different states. Don't hesitate to call if you have questions about the
definitions. Please remember to review all prefilled fields and make any
necessary changes.

The Maine Library Commission Rule Regarding Responsibilities of Public
Libraries http://www.maine.gov/msl/about/commission/rule.htm stipulates
that public libraries must submit an annual report to the Maine State
Library every year. Services that could be suspended to non-compliant
libraries include: MSLN, SCOOP cooperative purchasing, Consultant
services and Grants. Completion of an annual report is also a
stipulation when applying for a Rudman Grant.

Unlike previous years, Maine State Library staff will not make reminder
phone calls. I will post three reminder emails on MELIBS and MEINFO the
first week in February and the first and third weeks in March. It is the
sole responsibility of each library to ensure that the annual report has
been successfully and completely submitted. This also applies to any
follow-up information that is needed from the State Data Coordinator on
behalf of the Maine State Library, the Institute of Museum and Library
Services or the Census Bureau. If you fail to submit the report on or
before April 1, 2013, or you do not cooperate with attempts to obtain
follow-up information, you will be considered non-compliant and will be
subject to suspended services as outlined in the above paragraph.

The data that is collected conforms to the national data format with
definitions created by the Public Library Statistics Cooperative (PLSC).
The PLSC is a federally-funded program coordinated by the Institute of
Museum and Library Services and the Census Bureau, to collect and
publish accurate, consistent and comparable public library statistics on
an annual basis from each state.  The data is intended for use on the
local, state and federal level.

Major Changes for the 2012 Annual Report:

1. Section 5: Collection - This section is broken down as follows:

Children's Print Books (include YA)

Adult Print Books

Electronic Books (exclude Project Gutenberg)

Audio Materials-Physical Units

Audio Materials-Downloadable Titles (exclude LibriVox)

Video Materials

2. Section 5: Licensed Databases: Local/Other Cooperative Agreements is
now combined.

3. Section 6: Circulation - This section is broken down as follows:

Children's Circulation: Print Materials, eBooks, Audiobooks, Total
Children's Circulation

Adult Circulation: Print Materials, eBooks, Audiobooks, Total Adult
Circulation

Total Circulation

Many thanks to Alisia Revitt who created a step-by-step informational
video on accessing and calculating your eBook and Audiobook download
figures. http://bitly.com/bundles/arevitt/5

Please Note: Almost everyone will get an edit check for 6.3 and 6.4 due
to the mapping difference caused by the changes we made to this section.
You will also notice that the prior year figures that appear above the
box are incorrect too. This does not affect the data that you submitted
last year and is only a result of the data not lining up in Bibliostat.
Please bear with us as this will not be a problem next year.

Details and a guide to completing the Annual Report Survey using
Bibliostat Collect can be found on the Maine State Library website at

http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/statistics/annual/index.shtml

Whether you are a big or small public library,  we want you to know that
the Maine State Library appreciates and understands the work and
dedication it takes to collect and report accurate data.  We are more
than happy to assist you in any way that we can. Please do not hesitate
to contact me at the NMLD office or your own district office if you need
assistance.

Jenny Melvin - State Data Coordinator

Northeastern Maine Library District

207-947-8336 ext. 116

1-800-427-8336 ext. 116

Stephanie Zurinski - Consultant

Central Maine Library District

207-287-5632

1-800-322-8899

Mamie Anthoine Ney - Consultant

Southern Maine Library District

207-871-1766

I look forward to another great year of reporting and please call me
anytime!

Jenny

Jenny Melvin

State Data Coordinator