From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 11:03:43 -0500
Can't add much to the comments that have already been made about a
superb game, except:

Brian Morris writes:
>And of course the game would be won
>by a guy who had only scored 2 previous goals; I assume Tommy Ash must play on
>BC's fourth line.  Listening to him being interviewed after the game really
>brought out the essence of college hockey: the little known player who slaves
>in the shadows all those years and suddenly has one great moment in the
>spotlight.  It was almost amusing to listen to his awkward responses to
>Thorne's inquiries.  The perfect ending for a Cinderella story.

Tommy Ashe is a sophomore defenseman for BC.  Heather and I were at
the game, and I think Heather must have been the first one to shoot out
of her seat screaming when the puck went in. :-)  You see, Tommy's
older brother, Steve, was a member of Plattsburgh's 1992 NC$$ DivIII
championship team, of which Heather was the manager.  Heather, Steve
and I spent some time hanging out at a local establishment before the
game, and then afterwards we met up with him again in the stands
during the awards ceremony.  Steve said, "Boy, I think that one might
even be bigger than my national championship." :-)

Steve is a nice guy and Tommy seems to be too, one of the cleaner BC
players, so I'm happy he got the goal.  Although Steve agreed with me
when I said that in a few years, it will have become something like a
breakaway in which he faked the goalie into the penalty box and beat
him like a rented mule. :-)

Last week on our way to the Garden, Heather asked me, "So, what is the
big deal with the Beanpot?"  (This was the first one she's ever seen,
live or on tv.)  I told her to ask me again in six hours - or seven
days.  She didn't have to ask again. :-)

I'll just add congrats to BC and Steve Cedorchuk.  BC has struggled
the last few years and still seems to be rebuilding, but they're
making strides and this is clearly the biggest win of Cedorchuk's
short career at BC.  They executed an outstanding game plan and got
great goaltending from Taylor, deserving winner of both awards.  It
will be interesting to see how this carries over for the rest of BC's
season.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (13-14-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>