From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 23:12:46 -0500
no longer publish "offensive" Native American nicknames, I have a few
choice words for this one.

First off, what's 'offensive'? Why is Chiefs offensive, or Warriors?
Redskins, perhaps I can understand but why Chiefs or Warriors?

Second off, I think it's pretty lame. A newspaper is in the business of
REPORTING news. This is an example of them making news. I fail to see any
editorial justification for this. As politically incorrect as it may be,
the nickname of the University of North Dakota is indeed the Fighting
Sioux. Whether the S-T likes it or not, that is the case. They can
criticize it in their editorials, if they wish. They can urge such
schools to change their names. But they have an obligation to report
the facts, in their news stories. To do otherwise is journalistically
dubious.

Imagine a newspaper saying they won't cover Notre Dame because it stereotypes
the Irish or Union because it stereotypes Dutchmen. How about a Catholic
editor refusing to mention Providence (Friars) or St Lawrence (Saints)
because maybe it's sacriliegous.

The S-T is taking an editorial stand based on politics rather than
sound journalisitc ethical practice. A paper has to report a lot
of things that it probably doesn't like. Is it going to stop reporting
murders or rapes because that offends them too?

------ADIRONDACK RED WINGS-----CALDER CUP CHAMPS:---1981---1986---1989---1992--
| Bri Farenell                  [log in to unmask]              |
| Clarkson Univ. '95            Glens Falls High '91    GO ERIN WHITTEN!      |
| NCAA, AHL, ECAC and Boston Bruins contact for rec.sport.hockey              |
| Join the AHL mailing list: [log in to unmask]                  |
------USA HOCKEY-------------OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS----1960----1980----1994?---