From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 10:15:45 -0400
William Sangrey writes:
>In 1986 an incident occured in a Cornell-RPI game which would fall in this
>category.  At the fieldhouse, in the last game of the season, Dave Crombeen(sp?
>was called on a delayed penalty just as he was heading for the bench.  While
>RPI was trying to set up for the 6th attacker, their defenceman flipped a
>backwards pass to a teammate coming out of thier zone.  Unfortunatly for this
>defenseman (fortunatly for the RED), the teammate was the goalie who was
>skating headdown to the bench and never saw the pass.  As you can guess, the
>puck went right into the center of the net.

Believe it or not, this is all in the HOCKEY-L archives of Jan or Feb
1992 or 1993...when this came up before, I posted parts of the article I
wrote for the Polytechnic (RPI) in 1986 that referred to this.  It was
actually RPI forward Mark Jooris who made an attempted pass back to the
point from deep in the zone, and the puck slowly rolled down the ice
while goalie Brian Jopling, who had headed to the bench, tried to get
back in time...to no avail.  It all happened in seconds.  RPI had no
luck in the second half that year...the Engineers lost the game in
OT, which dropped them to fourth in the final standings instead of
third, and they went on to lose the quarterfinals at home to Clarkson
in two games.

Isn't it funny how the same topics keep coming up over and over? :-)
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93
R.I.P. Reggie Lewis NU/Celtics #35