From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 07:54:44 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>Larry Latour has thrown out a radical proposal.
>
>>2. In the Maine-BU second game Saturday (Maine 6 BU 1) there were an
>>awful lot of matching minors being called... seems like a waste of time
>>to me... A BRILLIANT, RADICAL IDEA! How about a penalty limit ala
>>foul limit in basketball... you go over the limit per period (3? 4?)
>>and you get another minute tacked on... players MIGHT be less
>>likely to get sucked into "mini-scuffles" and refs MIGHT pay more
>>attention to true fouls... of course I MIGHT be wrong, but...

This type of "penalty limit" has been implemented in the USA Hockey rule book.
(USA Hockey, formerly known as AHAUS, is the organization which oversees all
amateur hockey in the U.S.).  Some examples of this type of rule:

Rule 404-c (Note 2)
        Any player ... who incurs five penalties in the same game, shall
        be assessed a game misconduct penalty.

        Any coach whose team ... receives fifteen or more penalties during
        one game, shall be suspended for the next one game of the team.

Rule 403-b
        For the second major penalty in the same game, to the same player
        or goalkeeper, that player shall be assessed a game misconduct
        penalty in addition to the major penalty and shall be suspended for
        the next two games of that team.

In USA Hockey, a "checking from behind", "butt-ending", "spearing", or
"head-butting" minor penalty automatically carries a misconduct with it.
If a major is assessed for one of those, an automatic game misconduct is
added.  So if a player checks someone from behind, that counts as two
penalties (which leaves only 3 more before he reaches the 5 penalty limit
and receives a game misconduct).

As a sidenote, New York state has one additional minor/misconduct penalty
besides the four standard ones above: high-sticking.  This is one which I
disagree with, since most officials will not call even semi-rough high
sticking violations, knowing that the offender would have to sit out for
a total of 12 minutes.  I'd rather leave it at just a minor, so that more
high sticking violations would be called.  But that's New York for you.  :)

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180