Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 08:41:46 EST
Friday, 19 February 1993, Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arbor MI

Ferris State       1  1  1 -- 3         8   8   7 -- 23
Michigan           4  3  1 -- 8        17  11  14 -- 42

 8:05 UM Roberts 14 (Ward)
 8:42 UM Wiseman 8 (Neaton)
13:51 UM Oliver 28 (Roberts,Stewart) pp
18:38 UM Harlock 2 (Stewart,Wiseman)
19:55 FSU Moore 7 (McIntyre,Chaput) 5-on-3
21:44 FSU Passarelli 6 (Bell,Sergott) pp
25:45 UM Sittler 7 (Stiver,Ouimet) pp
36:15 UM Knuble 18 (Sittler,Ouimet) pp
36:45 UM Stone 9 (Knuble,Tamer)
40:00 UM Gordon in for Shields
      FSU Lisko in for Mazzoli
50:17 FSU Filipek ? (Christian)
55:52 UM Stiver 17 (Roberts,Ouimet)

Attendance: 6085
Stars:  1-UM Stiver  2-UM Roberts  3-UM Knuble

Ferris State showed more than I expected, but FSU will lose 9 out of 10
games in which 11 goals are scored.  If FSU can keep the score down, they
are a dangerous team.

The game itself was a routine physical CCHA encounter.  Nothing much to
report, but I do have a rules question (and I'm too lazy to look it up
myself).  During the second period, FSU had a 2:00 5-on-3 power play.
About :15 into it, (UM goaltender) Steve Shield's stick was broken in
a flurry in the crease.  He continued playing with only a shaft (this is
legal for a goaltender), and looked anxiously to the bench whenever the
puck wasn't nearby.  Michigan cleared the puck on a few occasions and,
I believe, made two lines changes --- but no one brought Shields a new
stick.  This went on well past the end of the power play.  When the
whistle finally stopped play, Shield had gone 2:00-2:30 with a broken
stick.  He was furious with the Michigan bench.  He flung the broken
shaft toward the bench and skated to his crease in disgust.  It appeared
that he exchanged several words with his teammates before he calmed
down.  The question: could one of his teammates have carried a new goalie
stick onto the ice and handed it to Shields?

  John H
  U Mich