From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:42:19 -0600
And I'm not referring to ice conditions in Cincinnati (or, for that matter,
Detroit)...

Just a quick note for those who'll be driving in St. Paul:
The most recent spring flood forecasts suggest >99% chance of major flooding
of the Mississippi River at downtown St. Paul.  Of course, the timing of the
flooding is uncertain, though the most likely period is within 2 wks either
side of the Frozen Four. [Insert your own disclaimers here about forecasting
this far in advance]  Downtown St. Paul and the Xcel Center are up on the
bluffs of the river and shouldn't be materially affected.  The largest
effects on visitors would be road closures.

The Shepard Road approach to the RiverCentre parking ramp will very likely
be shut down approaching from the east.  I wouldn't plan on using this route
at all.  (The ramp itself is high enough not to be flooded and the entrance
from Kellogg Boulevard would still be accessible.)  If I read the forecast
correctly, there's about a 45% chance of record flooding, which might shut
down Shepard Road west of the parking ramp, also.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/period.php?wfo=mpx&gage=STPM5&stream=Mississippi%20River&city=St%20Paul

Road closures might also affect off-day plans SW of the Twin Cities along
the Minnesota River (35W crossing at Savage, Hwy 13, etc) or NE along the
St. Croix River (Minnesota-Wisconsin boundary at Stillwater, Hwy 95, etc).

In any chase, you'll want to check on conditions closer to the time of the
event, but I thought I'd send this out now in case it affects anyone's
planning.
-Pam Sweeney