From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:45:33 -0400
That assumes the big fish only want to play with the big fish, which might
be understandable, except that there aren't that many big fish in the pond.
The result of a 22-game conference schedule might just be that the WCHA is
forced to open up what has been criticized by some as an insular schedule.
Going by last season's Minnesota schedule, the previous scheduling
arrangement left time for just six out-of-conference games (not counting
exhibitions, of course).  BU, on the other hand, played that many before the
end of November (and Clarkson will play seven before even starting the
regular season in 2009-10).

That said, there isn't anything to keep some of those 72 non-conference
games between WCHA oppenents anyway.

-Todd
creasemonkeyhockey.blogspot.com