From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:47:41 -0400
For those of you who know me, you'll know that I can sometimes be very
critical of various aspects of my alma mater, RPI, from some of its athletic
programs to the way the Institute treats its students, staff, alumni and its
neighboring community. For that reason, I want to pass along some
information that I recently read. RPI has established a new program called
the Gulf Coast Visiting Scholars program. Under this new program, a
relationship has been built with Tulane University and Xavier University of
Louisiana that allows up to 100 students from these two universities to
enroll at RPI for the fall semester and have the cost of tuition, room and
board and fees waived. In addition, any students local to the Capital
District area who were enrolled at Tulane or Xavier may enroll at RPI with
tuition waived. This is in addition to the $35,000 donated by RPI to various
rescue and relief organizations operating in the Gulf Coast area and does
not count the money being donated and raised by various student
organizations.

I'm not promising to be any less critical of the Institute in the future,
but I thought it worthwhile to pass along this information when the 'Tute
was doing something praiseworthy.

This note is being sent to both the RPI Sports list as well as Hockey-L. For
the benefit of the Hockey-L list administrator who will no doubt be ready to
chastise me for posting something with no discernible hockey content, let me
say that I got this information from the RPI student newspaper, the
Polytechnic, while I was on campus this week to drop off my check and
application for my RPI hockey seasons tickets. This will be my 36th
consecutive year as an RPI hockey season ticket holder.