From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:49:55 -0900
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, February 12, 2005
Contact: Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director
907-474-6807

NANOOKS EARN FIRST SWEEP OF MICHIGAN STATE, 1-0

FAIRBANKS, AK-Last weekend, the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ hockey team won where they had never won before when they defeated Northern Michigan at the Berry Events Center.

This weekend, the Nanooks did something they had never done before. Senior center Jared Sylvestre (Bonnyville, AB/Bonnyville-AJHL) scored the only goal of the game, and freshman goaltender Wylie Rogers (Fairbanks, AK/Victoria-BCHL) made it stand up as UAF defeated Michigan State, 1-0, in their Central Collegiate Hockey Association game at the Carlson Center Saturday night. The victory gave the Nanooks their first two-sweep of the Spartans.

The game was a marked contrast to Friday night’s shootout. Michigan State got a power play opportunity at 40 seconds of the first period and went on to outshoot UAF, 12-7, during the first 20 minutes.

The Nanooks scored the only goal of the game in the second period. Senior forward Jason Grinevitch (Glendon, AB/Drayton Valley-AJHL) flipped the puck high off the boards behind the MSU goal. The puck ricocheted into the air, deflected off the back of the net and bounced back up, where an opportunistic Sylvestre pounced on it and whacked it behind Spartan goaltender Dominic Vicari at the 4:44 mark of the second period. Sophomore center Curtis Fraser (Surrey, BC-Vernon-BCHL) also drew an assist.

“I was licking my lips when I saw the puck bounce,” said Sylvestre. “It seemed like it was in the air, and it took forever to come down, and I wanted to get to it before it hit the ice. I was just in the right place at the right time.”

Each team was penalized three times in the middle period, but only two of the penalties resulted in power plays. The Nanooks got an opportunity when MSU defenseman Ethan Graham was whistled for hooking at the 21 second mark. Fraser’s holding penalty at 8:21 gave the Spartans their second power play chance of the night, but neither team was able to convert.

Michigan State turned up the heat when they pulled Vicari with 1:35 remaining, and three Spartans created a three-on-one break that Rogers foiled.

“It was a blur,” said Rogers. “You try to follow the puck, and when you can’t see where it is, you try to stay in the center of the net and look as big as you can.”

MSU outshot Alaska Fairbanks, 39-20, including a 16-6 advantage in the third period. Rogers made 39 saves for his third shutout of the season, tying Todd Henderson for the single-season UAF shutout record. Vicari finished with 19 saves.

“We weren’t getting pucks in deep at the start of the game, but we persevered and played good defense,” said Nanook Assistant Coach Dallas Ferguson. “We take a lot of pride in our defense.”

“It’s an honor,” said Rogers about tying the single season shutout mark. “Every time I see Todd, he says I’m still ahead of you. Last night (6-5 overtime win) was one of my worst games of the season, and we still won, so I wanted to come back tonight and play a better game.”

UAF improved to 11-12-3, 10-11-3 in the CCHA, while the Spartans fell to 13-13-4 and 8-11-3. The Nanooks will return to action when they host Miami (OH) next weekend.

-UAF HOCKEY-