From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:30:14 -0500
Indy Rutks wrote:

> Heck with that! Is there a way to use this data to determine the geographic
> center of the D-I Men's Hockey universe?
>
> Could each individual players' hometown be plotted along a plane, from which
> the "center of gravity" could be determined? It would be OK if you
> calculated it by assuming each player weighs the same (though, if you're
> crazy like me, you'd be awfully tempted to use the players' actual
> weights!).

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard, ... which is good enough for
me.  When all the jocks are at home in their upstairs bathrooms, the "weighted"
geographic center of the meat that makes up Division I hockey, which averages
189.34 pounds per player when they first enter the bathroom, is located at 45°
8' 20.68" N - 87° 0' 55.98" W,  near the tip of Wisconsin's Door Peninsula, 1.3
miles southeast of Ephraim, or 1.6 miles east of the Ephraim-Fish Creek Airport,
or about16.6 miles north of Whitefish Bay, in the middle of a dead orchard we're
going to rename Indy-Appleless.

Not adjusted for body weight, it only moves 4.8 miles due east into North Bay.
Apparently, the western boys are just a tad meatier than the easterners.

Bob Griebel