From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 07:22:40 -0700
I think Julie Sasner did herself and women's hockey a big favor when
she spoke up about the UNH Women's head coach hiring.  There have been
2 major DI Women's appointments both going to men, both going to
insiders.  "When I see a spade, I call it spade!"  [another line
missing from the new "Importance of Being Earnest" film - FWIW - the
1952 Asquith version is superb]  Anyway, it smacks of the old boy
network, and "in fact, if I may speak candidly - Pray do! I think that
whenever one has anything unpleasant to say, one should always be quite
candid", I feel UNH let themselves down.

I remember Mark Johnson, in his days at Wisconsin, and he was a
tremendous player.  There is also no doubt that Brian McCloskey has
been a key element in making the Wildcats the power they are.  I would
guess, they will both make good women's coaches.  Nevertheless, when
you add in St Cloud wanting to hire a man for its still vacant women's
head coach job, the pattern looks a tad odd.

In regards a number of comments:  it is amusing, because I was thinking
about this entire business that there was a lack of high quality men
coaches currently!  And then, we could always talk money.  I see the
men seem to always get $5-15,000 more than the women for the same head
coaching position.  Title IX and the human condition - this sure isn't
the United Federations of Planets!  Ah yes, win something and you are a
genius, regardless of what you have done.

How come when a woman speaks up, the old boys claim that she is making
herself look bad, but when they do it, they are being assertive?  I
think Sassy showed fire and determination, and I know where I'd love to
see her coaching!

Which brings us to the women players - "This suspense is terrible. I
hope it will last."  [also MIA]  Women seem to prefer men's coaches
because "they work us harder."  And yet, when women coaches push their
charges, "she's being nasty."  Right!  So maybe it did all work out for
the best!!!  And in the reverse study, men listen to women leaders
better.  I think I just heard a Harvard reunion class keel over en
masse!

=====
                    \
    good shooting