From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:57:18 -0500
I can't give eyewitness info, so I don't dispute your account of what happened.  However, Russ Anderson played 66 games for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1976-77 (and went on to play over 500 games in the NHL), according to hockeydb.com.  I find it hard to believe he was just a "spare" on the Gophers in 1976.  I suspect the characterization of Herbie sending out a "spare" to get rid of an All-American is slightly exaggerated, though certainly Herbie enjoyed a little gamesmanship.

-Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!