Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:37:40 EST
In a message dated 3/19/2002 5:15:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I don't think the comment is meant to either encourage or reflect Ivy/Big 10
> plans to split off.  I think it translates to "all you people who are
> complaining about getting bounced by autobids should stop complaining -- it
> could be worse."

I don't get that from his comments, but then I've been wrong plenty of times
before. :-)

I'm not sure *what* problem, or perceived problem, Jack MacDonald is trying
to address with those particular comments.  Later in the interview he says
"Maybe we should erase the chalkboard of the 60 teams and redraw them. Now is
the time."  Seems like he's just talking about the NCAA tournament, but given
some of the other comments he makes in this article and some of the things he
has said in the past, I'm not so sure.  I seem to remember that he's
advocated some major changes to college hockey before, and this is one
"purist" that isn't so sure he wants to see college hockey aligned along
football or basketball lines.