From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:42:24 -0600
Michael Neal wrote:

> If the NCAA wanted to go back to doing a strict East Regional and a strict
> West Regional, fine, but then let's get that announced up front.  But this
> seems like a very odd year to do it quietly, given the imbalance of the
> regions.

It was announced up-front.  First, there were the rumblings about it
happening due to the NCAA policy change, then during conference calls
within the last few weeks, the committee was quite candid about what
was going to happen.  There was even a story in the Boston Globe about
how the seeding was going to change.

I don't think it's an accident that Lee Urton of USCHO, Mike Machnik of
there and here, myself, and John Whelan all came up with the same
regionals, aside John's placement of UNH out west and my punting on
the question.