From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:38:35 -0600
"John T. Whelan" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > On 17 Mar 2002, at 13:46, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > The results are in... (this will look bad if you're not using a fixed-
> > width font)
> > 5W Michigan (C)                    6E Harvard (E)
> > 4W St Cloud (W)                    3E Maine (H)
>
> Actually, ESPN.com lists Michigan as 4W and SCSU as 5W, which is a
> little confusing, since it seems to be seeding the teams based on the
> total PWR and not the individual comparisons, which the NCAA has been
> telling us for years that they do.  This seemingly minor change might
> or might not indicate an underlying paradigm shift.

Good catch, I missed that one.  Under the circumstances, I would have
to consider that a definite step backward.  Neither Michigan's PWC win
over BU nor St. Cloud's PWC loss to Cornell is, IMO, relevant to their
relative seeding in the West regional, although it would make sense in
the context of an overall national seeding (which obviously didn't
occur this year).