From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:02:49 -0500
I will tell you this, if the NCAA seedings mirrored John's predictions, you
would have plenty of unhappy people in Durham, NH and Orono, ME.
Personally, I cannot see this scenario happening because, first, the NCAA
wants to make some money and, second, from what I read today in the Boston
Globe and on USCHO the travel issue seems to be of paramount importance.

However, if there were no travel restrictions and John is correct in his
interpretation of the rule regarding host teams, it would take absurdity to
new heights IMHO.  To penalize the top ranked team by shipping them out,
solely because the host team is in position for a lower seeded bye, would
turn logic on its head for the sake of complying with some arbitrary rule.
I'm just wondering, when this host team rule was inserted, did Jack Parker
happen to be on the committee?  Just wondering.

I want to give kudos to my UNH traveling companion, Jim Love.  Two or three
weeks ago, based on comments of HEA commish Joe Bertagna, we discussed the
possibility of travel restrictions affecting the tournament seedings and
placement. Jim surmised that Eastern teams - say UNH, BU, Maine & Cornell -
would remain in Worcester while the top two WCHA teams, plus Michigan & MSU
would stay in Ann Arbor.  The remainder of the field would be filled by
other far flung schools - CC, UAF, etc. - which would have to fly to either
regional.  And since Mercyhurst is closer to Ann Arbor than Boston, they
would be slotted in the West.

I'm not sure what the exact placement of the schools will be, but I feel
pretty confident that I will see my beloved Wildcats in Worcester.

Greg Ambrose