From:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:01:07 -0500
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College hockey coach Paul Pooley today
announced that student-athletes Derek Allan of Davidson, Saskatchewan,
Chris Chaput of Pawtucket, R.I. and Eric Lundberg of Vernon, Conn. each
have signed a national letter of intent to attend Providence College
beginning in September 2001.
         "These three players are tremendous recruits for our program,"
Pooley said. "Derek Allan, Chris Chaput and Eric Lundberg will all play an
important role in helping our program continue to improve.  We are very
excited about the future of our program with the addition of these three
players."
         Allan, a 6-foot-1-inch, 190-pound forward, is playing in his
second season for the Nipawin Hawks of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey
League.  Currently, Allan is sixth in the SJHL in scoring with 43 points
(20 goals, 23 assists) in 27 games.  Allan also has tallied a league
leading 11 power-play goals this season.  Last season, he was named to the
SJHL All-Rookie team and was the Nipawin Hawks' Rookie of the Year after
tallying 28 goals and 17 assists.  Allan will be the third consecutive
Napawin Hawks' Rookie of the Year to attend Providence. Freshman Regan
Kelly received the honor after the 1998-99 season, while goaltender Nolan
Schaefer was rewarded for his play during the 1997-98 season.   Allan is
the son of Perry and Jeannie Allan.  He is graduate of Davidson Composite
High School.
         "Derek will add scoring to our right side," Pooley stated. "He has
a great feel for the game and a sense of were to be on the ice.  He will be
an exciting player to watch in the years to come."
         Chaput, a 5-foot-10-inch, 180-pound forward, is playing for the
New England Coyotes of the  Eastern Junior Hockey League.  Prior to joining
the Coyotes, Chaput played three seasons at Mount St. Charles Academy in
Woonsocket, R.I.  He was a two-time Rhode Island All-State selection,
two-time MVP of Rhode Island State High School High Championships and was
the 1999-00 co-leading scorer in the state of Rhode Island with 28 goals
and 26 assists in 18 games.   Chaput is currently fourth in the E.J.H.L and
first on his team in scoring with 35 points (18 goals, 15 assists) in 16
games.   He participated in the USA Hockey Select 16 and 17 Festival as a
member of the gold-medal winning New England Select 17 team and was a
member of the USA Select 17 team that participated in the Four Nations
Tournament in Prague, Czechoslovakia.  Chaput is the son Raymond and Susan
Chaput.  He is in his senior year at Farmington (Conn.) High School.
         "We are very excited about Chris attending Providence and his
ability as a hockey player," Pooley said. "He has tremendous feel for the
game and he can score as well as make plays.  Having Chris, a native Rhode
Islander is very important as we move our program forward.  He will have an
immediate impact on our team."
         Lundberg, a 6-foot-2-inch, 195-pound defenseman, is also playing
for the New England Coyotes of Eastern Junior Hockey League.  Lundberg has
tallied three goals and 13 assists in 14 games.  Last season, he tallied 10
goals and added 22 assists in 45 games for the Coyotes and was a
participant at the 1999-00 EJHL All-Star game.  Lundberg was named the New
England Coyotes' Best Defenseman in 1999-00 and is currently serving as the
team's captain.  He participated at the USA Hockey Select 16 and 17
festival and is currently ranked 13th in the NHL Central Scouting Bureau's
Initial ratings.
         Lundberg and Chaput will join the current Friars Jon DiSalvatore,
Peter Zingoni and John Luszcz as former Coyotes on the Providence
roster.  Lundberg is the son of Gary and Donna Lundberg.  He is in his
senior year at Rockville (Conn.) High School.
         "Eric has the size, intensity and skating skills to immediately
impact or defense," Pooley said.  "He has the ability to become a dominant
defenseman in HOCKEY EAST."

M.J. Connors
Providence College
Sports Information