From:
Ralph Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:31:34 -0500
> The reason I ask is that I am trying to figure out if the player
> drafted at 291 by Chicago (from Phi) - Arne Ramholt of the Swiss
> team is the same young man who played as a freshman at St. Lawrence
> in 97-98.  He didn't return for his sophomore yea and I had heard
> that it was for family reasons.  The former SLU player has a
> birthdate of 5/20/76.  Would he be the right age for the draft?
> Thanks for the info.

You can be almost any age and be drafted if you haven't been
drafted yet -- the Boston Bruins drafted Dmitri Kvartolnov in 1992
when he had been playing in the IHL, and he was 26 years old. It
just meant that they had the exclusive rights to deal with him -- he
could have continued playing in the IHL, but if he wanted to go to
the NHL it had to be with the Bruins. The NHLPA might have
successfully changed this though recently -- that doesn't seem fair
that someone could escape the NHL clutches so long and then be
a free agent.

I'd bet that it is the same guy. I have records of an Arne Ramholt
playing for Kloten and Zurich last year, only a handful of games but
that probably means he was in the B division for the rest of the
year. That sounds consistent with a freshman in college's level of
play, I think.

Ralph
http://www.hockeydb.com

http://www.hockeydb.com