From:
Dan Sgambelluri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sgambelluri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:04:31 -0500
After seeing the whole situation.

The ND player should have got a minor.  If I refereed the game, the player
would have gotten a minor because it wasn't an intent to injury and should
have not caused any damage.  This play was not flagrant and was in response
to the other player's cross check to the back, cross check to the face,
punch to the face or elbow to the face.

Second, the player who had gotten hit, should get a double minor for cross
checking, a minor either for roughing or elbowing, a minor for diving when
he had gotten cross checked like a normal cross check because if embellished
the cross check (if the league can call this penalty) and two minutes for
delay of game.  The reason why a delay of game penalty is simple, the player
if he had gotten injured, the player wasn't hit hard enough to be on the ice
for more than 5 minutes at the most and therefor he delayed the game by
pretending to be injured.  Of course the video did not show when the
player's 10-15 minutes on the ice.  If it did, I could judge if he is really
injured or just faking it.

Total Amount of time in the box

ND:  2 minutes
MTU:  10 minutes (8 minutes if diving is not allowed to be called)

ND:  8 minute powerplay after the 2 minute ND penalty has expired (6 minutes
if diving is not allowed to be called)

A few years ago, the Canadian Hockey Association, had a rule in which any
highstick over the shoulders is worthy of a major penalty even if the player
who had gotten hit had no or very little damage.  I disagree with this rule
but I had to put into use in one game when a player accidentally hit a
player with his stick above the players shoulder.   I had given the player
the major. the penalty did not occur in the last period so the player wasn't
suspended another game.

Now the rule is 2 minute minor or 5 minute major or match at the discretion
of the referee.