From:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:24:11 -0700
Sarah Foster inquired...

>Does anyone from Albany know anything about the Holiday Inn Express Turf on
>Western Ave in Guilderland?

Funny you should ask...we just got back from spending a weekend there...on
my first trip back to RPI in almost 30 years!

>Is it nice?

Yeah, it's fine. It's new enough that it still has that
fresh-paint-and-new-carpets aroma. Arleen was disappointed in their pool
because its maximum depth is only about 4 feet.  The "Express" in their
name means that there's no restaurant on the premises, but they do provide
a free continental breakfast. There are some restaurants within walking
distance...at least one a couple of blocks to the west, several about 1/4
mile to the east.

>Is it in a safe area?

Appears to be. Arleen and I walked around freely, even after dark. The
motel is essentially across the street from the SUNY-Albany campus.
Directly across the street from it there is a residential area of
attractive, well-kept homes on a series of dead-end streets that back up to
campus. About 1/4 mile to the east there is an entrance to the campus.
Nearby businesses along Western Avenue appear to be professional offices
(medical, dental, etc.) or shops that cater to the SUNY customer base.

>How far of a drive is it from the rink, etc, etc?

Mark Lewin's comments seem to be about right.

Bob Stagat
RPI  '64  68