From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:41:09 -0800
I didn't read this article, but Joe Bertanga said yesterday on radio
here in Maine that Hockey East was very happy with the balance they have
in the leauge (and what a great league it is.. as shown the last two
weekends) and they are NOT going to add a team that can't come in and
compete right away.

He wasn't specific, but very clear that some schools had applied to HE,
but that unless they were capable of competing HE didn't want them.
Read into that what you will.

On another subject.. what a war Saturday is going to be.. Maine/UNH.
Dream matchup for these two schools.  It is safe to say that there is no
team this year Maine would rather beat for the national title, and I'm
SURE UNH can say the same. This is going to be a classic game!! .. and
way to go HOCKEY EAST!!

-dt

--- greenie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 08:58 AM 4/2/99 -0600, Joe wrote:
>
> >To me
> >
> >Part one (Niagara) makes sense.  HEA may not like the travel,
though.

> >part 2 (Quinnipiac) seems like another "Don't let the facts get in
> the
> >way of a good story" Globism.
>
> I was one of the few on this list that did see Q play this year.
While
> they'd definitely dwell in the cellar for a year or two of Hockey
> East, I'd
> wager they'd still emerge from their inaugrual HEA season with at
> least 5
> wins -- which is 2 more than Northeastern had in 96-97. Same goes for
> Niagara.
>
> As for the general opinion that Q just "isn't of D1 caliber," growth
> also
> means a larger disparity between the top and bottom teams. I would
> think
> that few coaches would object to a teams like Quinnipiac, Niagara or
> Nebraska entering their league.
>
> Oh wait, Nebraska will be entering a league. [smirk]  Who woulda
thunk
> of
> that four years ago?
>
> >Unless----reorganization of Eastern hockey is in the works (3
leagues
> >4??)
>
> This is the most likely course of action -- especially if there were
> third strong contender for entry into HEA. That would make a total of
> twelve teams, which could easily be split into two 6-division teams;
> play 2
> games against your opposite division, keep three against your own
> division.
> The best thing is that would allow for 10+ NC games. Sounds nice to
> me.
>
> I agree that travel would be an issue, however. Niagara is indeed a
> haul --
> but so is St Lawrence and Clarkson, which many HEA teams regularly
> travel
> to. Heading out that way once per season really isn't so bad,
> especially if
> it's combined with an NC opponent or better yet, another New York
> school
> (RPI?) becoming the 12th HEA team...
>
> Not that I expect this to happen anytime soon  :-)
>

> greenie
>
> ps: what a great day of semifinals!
>
> HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information

===
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
1999 UNIVERSITY OF MAINE COMEBACK TOUR!