From:
Polly Kurz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Polly Kurz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:26:00 PST
from USCHO:

Saturday, March 27, 1999 at Dane County Coliseum
St Lawrence 2, Colorado College 5
Northern Michigan 1, Boston College 2

Attendance: 2,414

Sunday, March 28, 1999 at Dane County Coliseum
Colorado College 3, Michigan State 4
Boston College 3, North Dakota 1

Attendance: 2,910

Friday, March 26, 1999 at Centrum Centre
Michigan 5, Denver 3
Ohio State 2, Maine 4

Attendance: 8,509

Saturday, March 27, 1999 at Centrum Centre
Maine 7, Clarkson 2
Michigan 1, New Hampshire 2 ot

Attendance: 12,517

With that in mind.. I also wouldn't discount the Badger fans.. but it
seemed like a great opportunity to watch top players and top teams
compete.

My excuses for not attending:
* Tickets=$$, okay, so I've shelled out more than $30 for a beer tab in
one night, but it seemed a bit much for a couple games that my heart
wasn't really into.
* MSC coverage.  I was really happy I could watch the games on t.v.
 --which I did--  I am probably lucky there wasn't a local 'blackout',
because I know I was just miles away from live action, but you couldn't
beat the convenience factor.

In the process of discovering that the attendance figures were posted for
the round not per game.. I came across this in the Colorado Springs
Gazette online:

GREAT DANE: <snip>
While the NCAAs were played in the dumpy, old Dane County Coliseum, the
brand-spanking new Kohl Center, where Wisconsin now plays its hockey and
basketball games, sat empty across town. Why? Well, the city of Madison
bid for a regional before the Kohl Center was built and nobody wanted to
change the plans.
from: http://www.gazette.com/archive/99-03-29/spts1c.html

How accurate is this?? I'm assuming they really mean the UW Athletic
department bid for starters, but then.. could the regional location have
been changed to the Kohl Center?? And if so, does anyone know reasons
against the move??

AND, was the Coliseum really that bad?

It seemed like a good enough place to play hockey when I watched Badger
games there last season, and this is where the UW women's team will be
playing next season.  The announcers were talking about the
reconstructing of the ice (removing commercial logos etc.), and the
amount of practicing, etc. the ice was getting around each game. And
there were some really funky bounces off the boards that I saw. Any
thoughts?

Thanks.  Hope everyone has fun in CA!

 --Polly