From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:31:38 -0500
Looking at my pool picks, I have UNH beating Maine in the final. Since I like
Kariya for the Hobey, it got me to wondering how many times the Hobey went to
a member of the runner-up team.

To answer my own question (thanks to www.informationplease.com):

In 1983, the Hobey went to Mark Fusco of Harvard, who lost to Wisconsin 6-2
in the final game.

In 1984, the Hobey went to Tom Kurvers of Minnesota-Duluth, who lost to
Bowling Green 5-4 (4 OT's) in the final game.

In 1986, the Hobey went to Scott Fusco of Harvard, who lost to Michigan State
6-5 in the final game.

Another interesting fact: Minnesota-Duluth ties Harvard for the most Hobey
Baker winners (3), yet has never won a national championship.

Pat Carr
Cornell '96