From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:54:44 -0500
> The Gophers' men's hockey team, which begins practice this afternoon at
> Mariucci Arena, has 22 players who share 18 full scholarships. An
> in-state (residence) athletic tender at the University of Minnesota is
> worth $9,355 a year. A nonresident tender is worth $16,255 a year.
> Because the Gophers recruit and tender only Minnesota residents, savings
> to the athletic department is considerable.  Do the math....

This is a vacuous argument ... I'm not really concerned about whether
there's only Minnesota players at UM - I don't care.  As a member of the
math polic, I just simply am pointing out the flawed logic in this argument
... come up with a better one.

Minnesota isn't "SAVING" any money.  It's all theoretical to begin with.  It
doesn't cost the school any more money to have a non-resident attend the
school.  They simply charge more (or charge in-state students less) as an
incentive for in-staters to attend.

If the hockey team gave a scholarship to a non-resident, the school would
not be losing ANY money whatsoever.

18 x 0 is still 0
i.e. 18 scholarships times $0, is still $0 no matter who you give the 18 to.

AW