From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:09:38 -0600
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Anthony Frolik wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Tuschen, Terry wrote:
>
> > UW coach Jeff Sauer addressed this issue a while back on his radio
> > show..  Confirmed that there are already "preliminary",  I think he said
> > very preliminary talks between the Big(11)Ten and Notre Dame for joining

This surprises me a bit, given Notre Dame's recent move to the Big East
(except in football, of course).

Dumb question: Does Notre Dame play baseball? If so, who do they play
with? That may give us some indication of whether ND would join a Big
(11) 10 hockey league.

> Can anyone help me with this:
>
> School                 Hockey Program
> Minnesota              D-I
> Wisconsin              D-I
> Michigan               D-I
> Michigan State         D-I
> Ohio State             D-I
> Penn State             ACHA
> Illinois               ACHA???

Penn State and Illinois both have ACHA Division 1 teams.

> Indiana                ?????
> Northwestern           ?????

Indiana and Northwestern both have ACHA Division 2 teams. (Penn State,
Illinois and Michigan have them as well, FWIW).

> Purdue                 ?????
> Iowa                   ?????

They weren't mentioned on the ACHA website (at Eastern Michigan, though
the exact URL eludes me).

I suspect that the formation of a Big 10 hockey league would spur radical
realignment in the existin gtwo western leagues. Erik is right, I doubt
the AD of any WCHA school is going to approve a scenario that cuts them
off from Minnesota. (Minnesota is half the league's big rival, after all.)

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (ON) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
                         Behold the power of cheese.