From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:44:12 -0500
Greenie writes:

>Why wasn't UNH sent out west? Anyone? Anyone? I'm guessing the committee
>felt that they "deserved" (based on the numbers) to stay in the East... but
>it seems to me that Yale "deserved" it more, having a better win%, winning
>their regular season and making their conference semis (as compared to
>being swept in the first round). If there was any other reason it would be
>to avoid a BU-UNH or BC-UNH matchup.

I've come to the conclusion that there are only 3 criteria when the
committee selects the at-large teams and then slots them - the PWR, the
desire to avoid, if posssible inter-conference matchups and, last but not
least, the attendance factor.  In a comparison of UNH vs. Yale, UNH won on
2 of the criteria - PWR and potential attendance.  Why this second factor
is not acknowledged more on the list is beyond me, since the governing body
is, after all, referred to as the NC$$.

Suffice it say that, with MSU and Michigan playing at the decidedly smaller
Yost Arena, there was no worries about attendance there.  However, Pepsi
Arena is another matter.  By having UNH and Wisconsin there on Saturday,
and the two Boston teams on Sunday, the hope is that the place will be a
near sellout.

Greg Ambrose