Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:52:49 -0700
>  As impressive (or a fluke :-) as that may be, note also that NONE of the
>teams with the nation's Ten Toughest Schedules made the Tournamnet.

Although NONE of the ten toughest schedules made it in, it makes sense that
the SOS rating was lower for many of the tourney teams -- after all, when
you play a lower ranked opponent, your SOS suffers. Play a higher ranked
opponent, your SOS improves.

Take BU, for example. Their SOS schedule is dropped (significantly) by
playing Merrimack three times in the HEA playoffs. Boston College then has
its SOS dropped by playing Merrimack and Maine to win the title, rather
than UNH, BU, or Northeastern. Likewise, in playing 3 games versus BU
(ranked 3) and BC (now ranked 4 or 5), Merrimack's SOS skyrockets.

This always happens around tournament time, which is why SOS is only a good
judgment of the team for regular season. Divisional playoffs can do real
interesting things, and these playoffs were no exception (yet quite
fantastic and entertaining!).

Thanks to DirecTV and the regional sports package, I was able to see ALL
FOUR league championship games -- including the HEA championship live --
and I must say I've never seen so many exciting, down-to-the wire contests
with so much on the line.

And speaking of DirecTV, I for one did not hesitate when turning on my set
on Friday to order the Regional PPV package (all via remote, gotta love
technology). Heck, I would have paid even more if I had to. Why? I don't
mind paying for the privilege to watch -- in fact, I prefer it. In doing so
I'm GUARANTEED that the program won't be preempted by a golf tournament or
helicopter coverage of a basketball team riding the bus from the airport
(last year). I'm also completely secure in the knowledge that I will get to
see all the games, a week in advance -- no need to scramble about and make
calls to attempt to learn whether the game is going to be blacked out or
not. Did I mention I don't need to spent the same amount at a sports bar
just for a single game?

back to actual hockey talk...

To mirror Adam's comments, "PRINCETON!!!!!!!" And you all thought I was
nuts back in December when (after defeating BU) I said that this was a team
that could play the big games.

I would have to say that the season we've witnessed was/is amongst the most
exciting I've ever season, and that all the teams across the nation showed
a surprising parity that I've never seen -- or heard of.

Ohio State (!!) goes to OT against Michigan State for the CCHA title,
Princeton to DOUBLE OT against Clarkson for ECAC, and Wisconsin/Dakota and
Maine/BC fighting through hard-fought 3rd period, one-goal games. Two
championship games featuing teams that wouldn't make it into the tournament
without a victory, a bye (or possibly two) on the line in the
championship... wheeee!

Which made me think of a question -- with only MSU being both
regular-season and playoff champion, when was the last time (has there ever
been?) when NONE of the regular-season champions won their league playoffs?

Parker said an interesting thing on the selection show today (live from T's
Pub, no less) -- the last time BU won the regular season and lost the first
round of the HEA tournament was in 1978. In other words, he's not too worried.

Speaking of the selection show, Lagrande said (reluctantly) that he saw the
final as Michigan State v North Dakota, with the Spartans taking it all.
Interesting that an "eastern" reporter snubs BU, BC, and the other Eastern
representatives by not even placing them in the final... especially given
that TWO Beantown teams have a strong opportunity to make the final four,
given they've both got byes.

Should all the seeds make it through -- or more importantly, BU and BC --
it'll be real tough come Thursday for a Western squad to win a game against
the hometown crowds. I gotta admit, as a lifetime BC-hater, I'll have to
root my heart out for the Eagles should they make one of the semis -- as
long as BU is in (or has won) the other semi.

Think about it though -- MSU v BC, NoDak v BU -- there will be some HEAVY
Bahhhsten sentiment flowing through the North End two weekends from now,
especially if there's a possible BU-BC final matchup.

And I certainly don't want to leave out UNH! Although they did all but play
themselves right out of the tournament (like Miami), they've had a few
weeks off to focus, and this team DOES have the talent and the experience
to steamroll right on through to the final four -- which makes the
potential UNH-BU matchup a pretty wild thought. If only I could get to
Albany as well!

...I guess you could say I'm a bit excited.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!