From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:18:17 -0500
> victories, etc. etc...  Watching a game with a cold analytical mind is
> like performing autopsy on a date.  I would be surprised if Greg doesn't
> agree with me on this point.

Ew!

And I do agree, of course (um, with the part about the emotions being an
important part of the sport -- the forensics analogy I'm not going near),
in the context of being a fan.  I just would not want said bias on the
selection / seeding committee.

But in the present (which is where we all live afterall) this is moot, as
the selection is now quite public and 99% statistically-driven.  With the
12-team tourny, everyone in the tourny may not "belong" there, but everyone
who belongs there makes it (I forget, is that alpha or beta error?), so the
national title is still decided on the ice, not in a committee meeting.  I
don't think we can ask for much more than that.  Drop the puck.