From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:27:19 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Gentile
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All of a sudden Brown is a contender? This is
> likely the ECAC Coach of the Year story as well as
> a possible ECAC top goalie story, wouldn't you
> say? Not bad for a rookie coach and a sophomore
> goalie.
>
> So, is it first year coach Roger Grillo's system
> .. or is the stellar goaltending from sophomore
> Scott Stirling. Ever since Stirling replaced
> Holowaty in that Northeastern game (a loss), Brown
> has been on a tear ... losing only a close one to
> #6 Yale.

Roger Grillo has done an excellent job. He has, in fact, exceeded all
expectations. The players seem both to like and to respect him. In a very
short time he has managed to introduce a new system and have the team
follow it to the letter. As I told Roger a few weeks ago, I had my doubts
at the beginning of the season that Brown had the personnel to play the
style that he favors (fast skating, puck movement, crisp passing), but he
has made a believer of me.

Grillo's performance reminds me of Mike Shaffer's two years ago. I thought
that Shaffer deserved the Coach of the Year award that year.
(Incidentally, I also think that Shaffer deserved the award last year, and
I hope he gets it before too long.)

As to Stirling, he has simplified his game, and is playing with a lot of
confidence. His stellar save percentage is legitimate. Even though the
defense has been playing well in front of him, Stirling has made good
saves at the right time.

Luiz F. Valente