From:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:17:17 -0600
> >In any case, my BIG QUESTION is what happens if
> >YALE gets the BYE seed and no other ECAC team is
> >in the top 12 PWR ... does the second ECAC bid
> >come from PWR ratings or from the ECAC RS
> >standings???
>
>         I believe it would be done on the basis of pairwise
> comparisons among the remaining ECAC teams.  Remember that the
> committee no longer just uses the total PWR; they look at individual
> comparisons among teams competing for a slot, seed or whatever.

Is there anything that actually says a conference is guaranteed two
teams?  I know a spot is guaranteed to the r.s. champ and the playoff
champ, but if the same team wins both, doesn't that just create another
at-large spot.  Since the selection rules have hardly been static this is
probably not a situation a selection committee had counted on.

Example - Colgate is currently the #2 ECAC team in the PWR at #11.  If
Yale won ECAC tourney and two leagues have surprise tourney champs
(Colorado College, Northeastern, Ohio State, and Minnesota are all
candidates) I believe the ECAC would recieve only 1 bid (Yale).

Maybe there is a clarification on this, I don't have the selection
criteria.  It would be interesting to know.

Brian Hvinden