From:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 22:21:55 -0500
Looking to avenge their 2-0 loss at Providence College last night, the
Brown Bears took on the Friars on their own turf and skated away with the
4-0 win.

Was last night's Brown team the real thing or was it Folger's Crystals?
Tonight they looked totally different--I wonder what happened? In the
first they came out strong with a much sharper passing game and a greater
sense of team play. Plus they were far more agressive on offense and tried
to put together some more plays in front of the net. Shortly after PC
fought off a Brown power play, Brown's Ali Kenney put a shot on Friar
goalie Heather Wilcox, and the rebound got away in front. Out of the
ensuing pileup Marcie Deering got the feed and put it up on the top shelf
stick-side at 16:51, ending a 5 or 6 period scoring slump versus PC.
Jaime Abel also got an assist. The Friars played hard for the remaining
minutes but couldn't get the equalizer.

The second period looked like more of the same, but Brown really took
control of the game at this point. Both teams played with a fairly
physical defense that cost each team some penalties. However PC had a hard
time keeping Brown out of the slot and that, combined with some bad breaks
for Wilcox, gave Brown the game. At 3:24 of the second Tamra Jones made a
soft shot from the right side as she tried to get the puck off the boards.
Wilcox misplayed it and the puck ended up trickling through her legs and
into the goal.  After a series of Brown power plays, Jill Graat centered
the puck and freshman Melissa Rennison deflected it toward the goal.
Though not a hard shot, Wilcox could only partially block it and the puck
trickled in again to put Brown up 3-0 at 18:37.

In the third PC was having a hard time with puck control, and the Brown
offense was really clicking. Most of the play this period was in the Friar
half of the ice. Although they kept the third scoreless for most of the
period, PC really didn't have too many good offensive chances.  Toward the
middle of the period Brown goalie Ali Brewer made several teriffic glove
saves to hold on to the shutout. But with 1:08 remaining and a 4-on-4
situation, Tamra Jones came into the PC zone again, without any real
defensive pressure and, skating across left to right, put it over Wilcox's
right shoulder, a nice play.

Jones would get two unassisted goals tonight in her offensive debut. A
defender for her year and a half at Brown, I'd never really
considered her to be a big player up front, but she has really stepped up
in this weekend's games.  The Brown coaching staff has her as the
charging player on her line, getting the puck and feeding it back to the
trailers if they're around.  If not she's happy to try and apply pressure
herself. She's agressive at offense and she poured on some speed that I
hadn't noticed before. I hope she stays up there because I think it's a
good fit. She seemed to enjoy it as well.

Incidentally, Brown Student Radio covered this game tonight (I found out
too late for to announce it) and I hope to have an archived broadcast
available sometime tomorrow. See the web page for the link.

Next weekend Brown takes on Princeton and Yale at home, at 4:00pm and
2:00pm, respectively.

Unofficial Brown Hockey web page: http://www.netspace.org/users/bfisk/hockey

January 24, 1998
Meehan Auditorium