Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:43:30 -0500
On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Larry Winer wrote:

> I don't think we need national legislation or adminstrative regulations to
> run college sports. If a school wants to offer engineering as a major- it
> doesn't need permission from Uncle Sam. If 50% of a school i.e. women can't
> figure out how to get the athletic department to give them equity then there
> is a problem.

Remember, those 50% are paying taxes to support the school; why
shouldn't they get the same opportunity to get their money's worth?
Bear in mind that Title IX does not refer exclusively to sports.

There IS still a problem, but there used to be a much bigger one.
What would be the point of refusing to even attempt to solve it,
merely because some universities lack the responsibility to take
care of it on their own.  If anything, that's an even bigger reason
to intercede.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |
|  I'm not an elevator boy, though I play one in some people's karma.  |