From:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:13:58 -0500
Here was the situation:

Columbus, OH, March 2, 1997, OSU vs. Michigan:

1) A Michigan player, I believe it was Bobby Hayes, is in the penalty box
for a 2-minute minor.

2) Behind the OSU net, Michigan's John Madden (I could be wrong on the
names, but we're looking at the situation here) trips a Ohio State player.
Referee Roger Graff puts his arm up, indicating a delayed call.  OSU has
possesion of the puck, so play continues.

3) Ohio State attacks the net, and a Michigan defenseman purposely knocks
the net off the moorings.  There is approximately 1:30 left on the Hayes
penalty.

4) Due to the net being knocked off the moorings, Graff calls a penalty shot.

5) Penalty shot is good, goal for OSU.  Graff allows Hayes to exit the box,
and puts Madden in for 2 minutes (tripping).

Did he make the right call?

First, let's look at the non-penalty shot situation (a normal delayed
penalty situation):
Let's say that OSU scores. In that case, Hayes exits the box and Madden
enters.  2:00 5-on-4 for the Buckeyes.  If OSU does not score, Hayes stays
in, Madden goes in too.  1:30 5-on-3 and then :30 of 5-on-4 for the Buckeyes.

Now, in a penalty-shot situation:
The rule book clearly states that a scored penalty shot does not terminate
a minor penalty (power play).  So, if Madden was NOT being called for the
trip, Hayes would have stayed in the box, no matter what happened on the
penalty shot.

But, Madden was being called for a trip, a penalty shot was called, and the
penalty shot was converted.  The question now are:

      1) What happens to the first penalty?
      2) What happens to the delayed penalty?

According to the rule book, a penalty shot does not terminate a power play.
 By that rule, the first penalty should have stayed on the clock.  BUT,
this situation is a little more complicated.

hmmmm......

Roger