From:
Chad Doughty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:08:44 -0500
These picks won't even cost you the standard $2.99 per minute.

#1 North Dakota 2 games to 0 over #10 Michigan Tech:

The Sioux will be looking to avenge their embarrassing
sweep last week at Denver which cost them the outright
WCHA title. Michigan Tech has done nothing all year to
indicate they can win a tough road series or even a game
for that matter.

#2 Minnesota 2 games to 0 over #9 Alaska-Anchorage:

The Gopher's are playing some of their best hockey of the
year right now and have too much fire power for the Seawolves.
Dean Talafous has done a nice job in his first year and his
defensive system should keep the games close. I just don't
think the Wolves have the scorers to take a game at Minnesota.

#3 St. Cloud State 2 games to 1 over #8 Northern Michigan:

This is one series where a true upset is possible. Northern has
played tough down the stretch and if Dieter(sp.?) is hot between
the pipes they could stun the Huskies. I have to give the series to
St. Cloud because of the home ice and their superior scoring ability
with Paradise, Cullen, and Sasha the scoring bear.

#4 Colorado College 2 games to 0 over #7 Wisconsin:

If the Dauber could stand on his head for a couple of games out in
Colorado like he did Friday night against Minnesota the Badger's
could have a chance. However, I have a feeling he will just have a
couple of average outings and with Wisconsin's pourous defense
(I know, I know, lots of injuries) the Tigers should be able to light
the lamp enough to sweep Bucky Badger.

#5 Denver 2 games to 0 over #6 Minnesota-Duluth:

Will the real Denver Pioneers please step forward? After last week's
thumping of the Sioux I think Denver is ready to challenge for the
WCHA playoff title. They have an extremely talented team and if their
goaltending holds up they can beat anyone in the conference. The Dog's
have been the model of inconsistency all year and I don't give them any
chance against a Denver team that seems to be putting it together at the
right time.

I realize that I've taken the easy route and picked all the favorites but I
really believe they are the better teams and home ice is tough to argue
against.

Chad Doughty
Hoping For A Sioux-Gopher Rematch In St. Paul Next Week