From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 23:05:52 -0500
>I think the rivalry has escalated in the past couple of years. It
>really started (IMO) with the 1994 ECAC quarterfinals. Union was this
>unexpected underdog that rolled into the playoffs and surprised
>everyone.
>
>Many expected a sweep (probably even the RPI players), but when
>Union won the first game, it gave the entire Albany-Schenectady-Troy
>area a wake-up jolt. RPI took that wake-up call and won the next
>two games, but the rivalry was born.

I totally agree. During and after that series, we old-timers
finally concluded that Union was Division I material.

> The atmosphere at the RPI Fieldhouse is pretty much nothing compared
>to that of Achilles Rink, in my opinion. Regardless, you could feel
>the tension at each game.

I don't know how often you've been at Houston. While RPI has been
mediocre the past few years, the crowd enthusiasm has been down recently.
You can't judge the crowd reaction from RPI Union games yet since
most RPI fans don't consider Union a special rivalry (yet. That will probably
change by this time next week). RPI-Clarkson is usually the one that brings the
most tension into Houston but that has been down lately since we've
drawn Clarkson in late November and early Decemeber the past few
years and that's a bit early for the fans to get psyched for.

I can't speak for Achilles since I haven't attended any games there.
All I can say is that Houston holds 5000+ while Achilles holds under
2500 if my memory serves me. I think this weekend at Houston may see
more Union fans at RPI than Achilles can hold by itself. Add to that
several thousand maniacs in RED and the atmosphere will be electric.

As I said in my post to the list, RPI has home ice advantage but it
remains to be seen who has home crowd advantage. It will be LOUD,
just the way it should be for playoff hockey.

And at this point, I couldn't begin to predict the outcome.

>I think that tension may not be strong enough of a word this weekend.

This will be war. I only hope that, with all that testosterone flowing
through the stands, there is no trouble. We did have some problems earlier this
year when Clarkson was down which fortunately petered out. But that was early
and this is playoffs.

PS... leave your damn oranges at home.... ;-)

Mark Lewin
Class of '69