From:
Scott Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:27:59 -0500
At 06:33 PM 3/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger Spurgeon wrote:
>
>All in all, a darn good assessment from the Michigan side(-:  From the OSU
side, a few
>points:
>
>> There was tremendous confusion around this call, as Michigan was already
>> down one man.  There was over a minute left on this penalty.  When the net
>> was knocked off the moorings, Graff was already indicating a delayed call
>> on the Wolverines.  After Dufour's successful penalty shot, Graff took the
>> first penalty off the clock and put the new penalty on the clock.  Thus,
>> the Buckeye's ended up with a 2-minute 5-4 power play.  I'm not clear,
>> however, on why the first penalty came off the clock.  I assume that if
>> Dufour had not made the penalty shot, the first penaly would have stayed on
>> the clock and OSU would have had a 5-3 power play for over a minute ? .
>
>After checking the rule book and not finding anything specificly related to
this
>situation, we came to the conclusion that the usual rule applies:
_anytime_ there is a
>goal scored by the team on the power play, even on a penalty shot, the
oldest penalty
>comes off (unless it's a misconduct, etc...).  So, if Dufour had not scored
on the
>penalty shot, OSU would have had 5 on 3. Conversely, if Hayes had not
already been in
>the box before the shot scored, Madden would have come out and the teams
would have been
>even strength.  Or so we concluded (-:

Rule 4,Section 2, note 1 (page 31) of the 1997 NCAA Rule book states that:

Short-handed means..........No minor or bench minor penalty will terminate
as the result of a penalty-shot goal.

Just needed to back Roger up. :-)

Scott Spooner

University of Michigan
NCAA Hockey Champions, '48,'51,'52,'53,'55,'56,'64,'96