From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:22:24 -0500
On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:
> > I thought ( was hoping ) Amherst would fare better last night. If you
> > haven't heard, Princeton whalloped them 7-2. I was hoping to have seen
> > a post here, since the box scores on USA Today don't even show
> > penalties.
>
> You can read all about the game at US College Hockey Online.

This is why I never posted a box (Sorry), but I'll tack it on at the end
of this. We send one to uscho anyways, but when both Adam and Jason Moy are in
the house, you have to assume it will end up there anyways.

> > Attendance was over 3,000. Is this typical?
>
> I don't know who was counting.  Obviously this was tickets sold.  There were
> MAYBE 1,000 people there.

Attendance at Mullins is tricky just because of the size of the place and
also because student tickets are free so it's hard to gague how many show
up on the Friday before exams. That, and for some bizarre reason, several
left early.

Anyways I would have said that last night's crowd was slightly smaller
than average and since we averaged 3,500 per game last year I have no gripes
with 3,027. Yes Paul, 3 grand is typical, but it still looks really empty.

As for the game, if they hadn't surprised a lot of teams already and
beaten me to the punch, I'd say to watch out for Princeton this year. They
played as solid a defensive game as I've seen lately, all over the ice.
They didn't focus on defending just one section of the ice, but rather
aggressively attacked the puck in all three zones. This is a well
disciplined team and I don't have to say how well coached they are with
Toots Cahoon behind the bench backed up by Mark Dennehy. Their day-glo
orange uniforms aren't the scariest part of this team. How good is
Cahoon? Brian Horst wasn't in the origional lineup, added last minute
when he scratched Scott Bertoli in a "disciplinary action." Horst had two
goals.

UMass lost its composure towards the end, yeah, not going to argue that
one bit. After closing it to a 4-2 game early in the third, the fifth
goal was a backbreaker and stymied by tremendous defense al night long,
UMass took out some aggression, an unusual thing for a team that has
controled itself this year after being near the top in HE PIMs the past
two years. Dennis Wright's misconduct (well earned) was only the team's
second of the year.

Not much to say from the UMass side so I won't. Just a lack of defense
that led to the four goals in the second. Honestly I thought Regan (7 ga,
35 saves) played alright, he couldn't be faulted for too much. The last
pair came on and extended 5x3 advantage after everyone on both teams
stopped caring. Princeton played almost the last four minutes of the game with
a man adavntage, almost half of it with a two man advantage. Overall not
the same kind of effort we've seen from teh Minutemen so far this year,
especially last weekend when they played tremendously well and
aggressively in a sweep of PC.

UMass will try to get back to .500 tonight at Dartmouth (I'll be sitting
this one out though), while Princeton takes an extended TO after a
tremendous first half.

Official Box:
Prin.   0 4 3 - 7   (8-2-2)
UMass   1 0 1 - 2   (7-8)

First Period Scoring:
UM Holland (Norris, Bonneau) 19:53

Penalties:
P  Auger (High sticking) 16:17
UM Bonneau (Elbowing) 16:17

Second Period Scoring:
P  Ranaldi (Apps, Brush) 0:31
P  Ranaldi (Brush) 3:39
P  O'Connor (Masters) 8:37
P  Pele (Halpern, Given) PPG 11:38

Penalties:
(Notice how few there were until the third when 22 got called)
UM Juden (Holding) 10:49
P  Masters (Holding) 16:16
P  Shirreffs (High sticking) 19:58

Third Period Scoring:
UM Norris (Gaffney) PPG 1:32
P  Horst (Sheehan) 6:26
P  Halpern (Ranaldi) 5x3 16:37
P  Horst (Pelle, Barber) 5x3 18:14

Penalties:
P  Auger (Hitting after the whistle) 1:10
UM Bonneau (Hitting after the whistle) 1:10
P  Apps (Hitting after the whistle) 7:20
UM Gaffney (Hitting after the whistle) 7:20
P  Auger (Hitting after the whistle) 9:19
UM MacKinnon (Hittung after the whistle, Unsportsmanlike Conduct) 9:19
P  O'Connor (Double minor-Hitting after the whistle) 10:57
UM O'Connor (Double minor-Hitting after the whistle) 10:57
UM Stork (Roughing) 12:42
P  Brush (Interference) 13:20
P  Bois (Hitting after the whistle) 13:43
UM Fawcett (Hitting after the whistle) 13:43
UM Wright (10 min. misconduct) 13:43
UM Smith (Slashing) 16:34
UM Kennedy (Slashing) 16:34
P  Ranaldi (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) 16:37
UM Bonneau (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) 16:37
UM Norton (Roughing) 17:16
UM Bench minor 17:36

Shots: P 42 (10-13-19), UM 22 (5-7-10)
Saves: UM, Regan 35 (10-9-16); P, Salterelli (20:00) 4 -1ga, Rankin (W)
       (20:00) 7, Bradley (20:00) 9 -1ga
Penalties: UM 16/40, P 11/22
Power plays: UM 1/3, P 3/4
Attn: 3,027
Ref: Jim Fitzgerald, Asst Refs: Rich Zanetti, Marc Sampson

Stars:
1) Tony Ranaldi (2 goals, 1 asst. in homecoming for Springfield native)
2) Brian Horst (2 goals including back breaking fifth)
3) Nick Rankin (Goalie credited with the win, 0ga in his period)

Leigh
At least he didn't sign wih the Yankees.