From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:14:46 -0600
On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Steve Rockey wrote:

> After watching the Colgate game I was looking over the program in some
> detail and I noticed that they had some Junior B players from Ontario which
> I thought was unusual.  My recollection is that I have not seen many Junior
> B players going direct to Div. 1 of late but not all rosters list full
> detail under previous team so that I may have a wrong impression that
> count.  I also have a vague recollection that in parts of Ontario the top
> junior level used to be Junior B and that for some reason Junior A never
> developed.  Can anyone confirm this recollection and/or say if this is
> still true.  Here are some of the teams from the Colgate Roster if it
> helps:  St. Mary's Jr. "B", Leamington Jr. "B", Sarnia Jr. "B"

In all of Canada this is how the hockey system ranks
--I'm 22 an its been this way as long as I can remember.....
we will start at the bantam level---I think grade
9 and 10.....

Bantam (A, AA, AAA)
Midget (A, AA, AAA)
Junior C
Junior B
Junior A (teir 2)  (SJHL, MJHL, BCJHL, USHL, etc)
Major Junior (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)

---Instead of playing AAA midget some players choose to play at the
highschool level....In my area though AAA midget is the highest level and
those that are too old or get cut from AAA or don't have a AAA team close by
play highschool.  Most players coming out of Canada to play NCAA hockey
play at the Junior A (teir 2) level.  The reason that you will find some
junior B players in the NCAA is because that league that you are refering
to is a pretty good league and may be comparable to junior A.....Chris
Pronger played in that league before joining the Peterborough Petes and
then the Harford Whalers and the St. Louis Blues.
----My brother played AAA midget and then Junior A (teir 2), before
moving on to the NCAA......that is the route of most players from Canada
that play college hockey south of the border.  The few exceptions would
be those coming out of highschool or AAA midget to the NCAA or junior B...
...This is quite rare...unlike the U.S. where a large part come right out
of highschool....I think MTU might have a player right out of AAA midget
palying for them.  Jason Botteril played highschool in Winnipeg, then I
think played a year out east and now plays for Michigan....and soon Dallas...

       JASON ROY                   *     *                CBC's
 UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA             *   *         HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
[log in to unmask]             * *         "The Tradition Continues"
         GO 21                        *
   GO TECH / GO CANADA               * *              Molson Canadian
        GO STARS                    *   *
      GO BILL BERG               ***     ***         The Tragically Hip
    A loose puck doesn't know who's....BigGeR, StRoNger, or DrAfTed hIgheR.
                       BUT IT KNOWS WHO GETS THERE FIRST.       (Bauer CANADA)